The Little Karoo is a runner's paradise, and Oudtshoorn boasts a number of major marathon events - all accompanied by parties and traditional country fairs.
Annual Marathons include:
- Cango Caves Fun Run (late February / early March)
One of South Africa's oldest events, the full marathon begins at the Cango Caves (with transport to the start) and ends in Oudtshoorn. The half marathon begins and ends in the town.
- Kunstefees Half Marathon (March / April)
Held during the annual KKNK Arts Festival.
- Meiringspoort Marathon (October)
From the Great Karoo through one of South Africa's most spectacular canyons and ending in the village of De Rust.
The Little Karoo was made for mountain bikers and has become one of the most exciting cycling destinations in South Africa
Annual local & regional Mountain Bike events include:
- To Hell and back Mountain Bike Race (November)
From De Hoek holiday resort near Cango Caves to Gamkaskloof (Die Hel) in the Swartberg Mountains; an overnight and return race - 60 km each way. Limited to 400 riders.
- Redstone Hills MTB & Trail Running Challenge (May)
Circular route from the Calitzdorp Spa; not technically demanding but definitely a test of fitness and endurance; 95 and 41 km routes as well as a 15 km fun ride
- Leopard Crawl Charity MTB Tour (April)
A challenging and exclusive 120 km, 2 day event or an easier 80 km, 2 day race (or "Cub Crawl") in the Infantry School's Luiperdskloof (which is not usually open to civilians).
- Chandelier Mountain Bike Challenge (September)
50, 20 and 10 km races amongst the game at Chandelier Game and Ostrich Farm.
- Ladismith Seweweekspoort MTB Challenge (October)
From Amalienstein through the Seweweekspoort - perhaps the most rugged and isolated of the passes through the Swartberg Mountains - to Ladysmith the Seweweekspoort. 78 and 25 km route.
An abundance of good sports facilities makes Oudtshoorn a sure choice for all sports tournaments.
The town presently boasts:
- 24 rugby fields
- 13 cricket pitches
- 54 tennis courts
- 6 hockey fields
- 40 netball fields
- 14 soccer fields
- 2 Olympic long course (50m) swimming pools
- 3 Olympic short course (25m) swimming pools
- 1 synthetic athletics track
- 5 bowls courts
- 6 squash courts
- 1 x 18 hole golf course
- 7 badminton courts
- 9 volley ball courts
- 3 basketball courts
- 14 sports halls
+27 (0)44 203 3000
- FOR MORE INFORMATION ON EVENTS - CLICK LATEST EVENTS